Grilled Sauerkraut Avocado Sandwich
Prep time: 10 min
Cooking time: 12 min
8 slices pumpernickel or Ezekiel bread
2-3 tbsp ghee
1 cup hummus
roasted garlic flavor, divided
1 cup sauerkraut, drained, lightly rinsed, and liquid squeezed out
1 avocado, peeled and sliced lengthwise into about 16 pieces
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
2. Spread ghee on one side of each of the 8 slices of bread, and place 4 of them them ghee-side down on a baking sheet.
3. Take about half of the hummus and distribute over the same 4 slices of bread.
4. Distribute the sauerkraut over the hummus on each slice.
5. Place the avocado slices over the sauerkraut.
6. For the remaining 4 slices of bread, spread hummus on the side without butter and place hummus side down on the avocado slices.
7. Bake in the oven for 6-8 minutes, then flip the sandwiches and bake about 6 minutes more, until the sandwiches are golden brown and crispy. (Alternatively, you can grill them on the stove top on a griddle or in a skillet).